Skip to main content

The Shadow of Blackwood Hall





The house didn’t sit on the cliff so much as it clung to it, like a desperate man holding onto a ledge. They called it Blackwood Hall. The locals in the village below didn't look at it when they walked past the iron gates. They crossed themselves and hurried home before the fog rolled in.

I didn't know any of this when I bought it. I was twenty-six, fleeing a life in the city that had crumbled into dust, and the low asking price felt like a miracle, not a warning.

The first night, the silence was so heavy it felt like a physical weight. Then came the scratching.

It started inside the walls of the master bedroom—a slow, rhythmic scritch, scritch, scritch, like long fingernails dragging against plaster. I sat up, my heart hammering against my ribs, clutching the duvet to my chin.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice trembling.

The scratching stopped. Then, from the hallway darkness, came a sound that froze my blood. A low, wet chuckle.

I didn't sleep that night.

The next morning, I met Silas.

I found him chopping wood near the overgrown stables. He was tall, with hair the color of midnight and eyes that looked like they had seen wars I couldn't imagine. He was the groundskeeper, apparently, part of the deed I had signed without reading the fine print.

"You stayed the night," he said, not as a question, but as a statement of disbelief. He didn't look at me; he just brought the axe down with terrifying precision.

"Is there a reason I shouldn't have?" I asked, hugging my cardigan tight against the coastal chill.

He stopped then. He turned to me, and the intensity of his gaze made me take a step back. "Leave, Miss Vane. Sell the house back to the bank. Burn it down. Just don't sleep here another night."

"I have nowhere else to go," I whispered, the shame of my bankruptcy stinging my eyes.

Silas looked at me for a long moment, his expression softening just a fraction. "Then lock your door. And if you hear your name called from the dark... do not answer."

For two weeks, the house played with me. Doors would slam shut when the windows were closed. The temperature would drop twenty degrees in a heartbeat. I would wake up with bruises on my arms that I didn't remember getting.

But through the terror, there was Silas.

He became my shadow. When the lights flickered and died during a storm, I found him standing on the porch, a lantern in hand, looking like a sentinel. He started sleeping in the hallway outside my room. I would open my door a crack and see him sitting there, back against the wall, a hunting knife resting on his knee, staring into the abyss of the staircase.

We didn't speak much of the love growing between us. It wasn't a soft, gentle thing. It was forged in adrenaline and fear. It was the way his hand lingered on my shoulder when he checked the windows. It was the way I made him coffee in the mornings, watching his hands stop shaking as he took the cup.

"Why do you stay?" I asked him one night. We were in the kitchen, the only room that felt safe. The power was out again.

"Because it can't leave the grounds," Silas said, his voice low. "It feeds on fear. If I leave, it will find a way out. I'm not the groundskeeper, Elena. I'm the jailer."

"And what happens when the jailer gets tired?"

He looked at me, his dark eyes filled with a terrifying sorrow. "Then the prisoner eats him."

He reached out and touched my cheek. His fingers were rough, calloused, but his touch was agonizingly gentle. "I thought I could scare you away," he admitted. "But now... now I’m terrified it will take you to get to me."

The climax came on the night of the new moon.

The air in the house turned sulfurous. The shadows detached themselves from the corners of the room, elongating, twisting into humanoid shapes. I was in the library when the door slammed shut and locked.

Elena...

The voice didn't come from the room. It came from inside my head.

The fireplace exploded. Embers showered the rug. From the smoke, a figure emerged—tall, skeletal, wearing a tattered suit that looked disturbingly like the portrait of the original owner hanging in the hall. It had no eyes, only hollow pits of darkness.

I screamed.

The door splintered. Silas burst in. He didn't have the knife this time. He had a heavy iron poker from the hallway.

"Get back!" he roared, placing himself between me and the thing.

The entity laughed—a sound like grinding bones. Silas... my faithful dog. You brought me a treat.

The room spun. Furniture levitated and smashed against the walls. A heavy bookshelf toppled, pinning Silas by the leg. He shouted in pain, dropping the iron poker.

The entity loomed over him, its jaw unhinging to reveal rows of needle-like teeth. It was going to feed. Not on his flesh, but on his soul. I could see the light draining from Silas’s eyes, his strength failing.

"Run, Elena!" he gasped, reaching out to push me away. "Run!"

Fear. That's what it wanted. It wanted me to run. It wanted me to be terrified.

I looked at Silas—the man who had slept in a cold hallway for weeks just to keep a nightmare at bay. The man who looked at me like I was the only light in his dark world.

The fear vanished. It was replaced by a white-hot rage.

I didn't run. I lunged.

I grabbed the fallen iron poker. It was heavy, burning hot from the fire, but I didn't feel the pain.

"Get away from him!" I screamed.

I didn't swing at the monster. I swung at the connection—the dark, smoky tether that seemed to be latching onto Silas’s chest.

The iron passed through the smoke, and the entity shrieked. It wasn't physical pain; it was the shock of defiance. It turned its eyeless gaze on me.

You should be afraid, little girl.

"I am afraid," I sobbed, dropping to my knees beside Silas and grabbing his face with both hands. I ignored the monster looming over us. I looked only at Silas. "I'm afraid of losing him. And that is stronger than you."

I kissed him.

It wasn't a movie kiss. It was messy, desperate, and filled with a fierce, protective love. It was an affirmation of life in the face of death.

The air in the room shrieked. The entity recoiled, as if our connection was a blinding light it couldn't look at. Love, I realized, was the one frequency it couldn't digest. It needed isolation. It needed despair. It couldn't feed on a heart that was full.

With a sound like a cracking whip, the shadows were sucked back into the fireplace. The pressure lifted. The cold retreated.

We were left in the dark, gasping for air, the smell of ozone and sulfur fading.

Silas’s leg was broken. The library was destroyed. But we were alive.

We didn't sell Blackwood Hall.

You can't sell a prison; you can only strengthen the guards.

We live here still. We fixed the windows. We painted the walls a bright, defiant yellow. We have a garden now, where things actually grow.

Sometimes, on dark nights, we still hear the scratching in the walls. Sometimes, the temperature drops, and the shadows stretch a little too far.

But we don't hide under the covers anymore. We light a fire. We pour two glasses of wine. And we sit together on the sofa, holding hands, our fingers interlaced so tightly that nothing—living or dead—could ever slip between them.

We aren't afraid of the dark anymore. We know that the only thing strong enough to keep the monsters out... is us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy Who Swallowed the World

The Runt of the Wolf’s Den In the Kingdom of Kalgor, weakness was not just a misfortune; it was a capital crime. Kalgor was a land carved from granite and ice, ruled by the Iron creed: Steel rules the hand, and the hand rules the world. Men were measured by the width of their shoulders and the weight of their axes. Women were measured by their ferocity in defense of the hearth. And then there was Kael. Kael was the seventh son of Warlord Torin, the ruler of the Northern Reach. While his brothers were born screaming and kicking, Kael was born silent and blue. He survived, but he did not thrive. At sixteen, while his brothers were hunting dire bears in the frost-wood, Kael was struggling to lift a standard infantry shield. His left leg was twisted, a birth defect that gave him a permanent, scraping limp. They called him The Runt . The Broken Bone . Torin’s Shame . The abuse was constant and physical. His eldest brother, Vorian, a giant of a man with a beard like steel wool, would use Ka...

The Equation of the Rose

The Kingdom of Numbers In the West, there lay the Empire of Null, a land of gray stone and iron skies. It was ruled by Emperor Varek, known to his enemies as "The Arithmetist." Varek was not a cruel man in the traditional sense. He did not enjoy pain. He simply did not factor it into his calculations. To Varek, the world was a math problem. Famine was a distribution error. War was an equation of resource expenditure versus territorial gain. He had conquered half the continent not with rage, but with perfect, icy efficiency. He had never lost a battle because he could predict exactly what a rational enemy would do. In the East lay the Principality of Aethel, a tiny realm of rolling vineyards, chaotic music, and inefficient joy. It was ruled by Princess Elara. Elara was not a warrior. She was a weaver. She spent her days repairing tapestries and settling disputes between farmers over stolen chickens. She was beloved, but in the eyes of the world, she was weak. When Varek’s iron...

The Clockmaker’s Equation

The Tick The year was 1928, and the city of Vienna smelled of roasting chestnuts and impending snow. In a narrow alleyway off the main boulevard stood a shop that time seemed to have forgotten: Albrecht’s Horology. Julianne was seventeen, with fingers stained perpetually black with oil and eyes the color of polished gears. She was not the owner’s daughter; she was the orphan he had taken in to sweep the floors, only to discover she had a supernatural gift for listening to the heartbeat of machines. "It’s not magic, Uncle Albrecht," she would say, squinting through a jeweler’s loupe. "It’s just... logic. Every spring wants to uncoil. Every gear wants to turn. You just have to let them." Enter Sebastian von Klerk. He was twenty, the heir to a steel dynasty, wearing a coat that cost more than the shop’s entire inventory. He entered with a gust of wind and a pocket watch that had stopped ticking. "My father says it’s trash," Sebastian said, his voi...